A new version v1.3.4 (beta) of Audacity has been released for Windows and Linux. The latest version for the Macintosh is still v1.3.3 (beta).
This new version has a host of new features and user interface improvements. According to a press release here are the major ones:
- New Welcome Screen with introduction to Audacity.
- New 'Mix and Render to New Track' command.
- Support for VAMP audio analysis plug-ins.
- More keyboard shortcuts and navigation.
- Reworked solo/mute handling.
- New preference: Select all audio in project, if none selected (on by default).
- New preference: Beep on completion of longer activities.
- Envelopes: Many fixes when copying, pasting, or repeating.
- Many translation updates.
- Metadata editor added for OGG, FLAC and WAV/AIFF exports.
- Metadata import improved.
- Muted tracks are no longer audible in the exported mix.
- Improvements to latency correction.
I have installed this on two Vista PC systems without any major issues, but I do most of audio production editing on a Mac Book Pro so I have not completely run this new version through the paces.