RSS Troubleshooting - Feedburner, TypePad, Libysn
June 14, 2007
Since Monday (6/11) I have been troubleshooting an issue with the Jersey Boys Podcast RSS feed. After posting the latest podcast I notice that iTunes was not picking up the file for download. I use TypePad to host the blog/website, Feedburner to host the public RSS feed, and Libysn for the MP3s. This is really the first major issue I've had with any of these services.
After doing some troubleshooting on Feedburner per suggestion from their help desk, I ran into a situation where now all the iTune tags went missing from all the podcasts in the feed. This was causing players from Podtrac and Odeo to have issues also. So, effectively I had no iTunes or podcast enclosure tags in my RSS feed.
At first it looked like there might be an issue with Libysn not returning the audio/mpeg tag to Feedburner in a timely manner, but I moved some files off Libsyn to make sure that wasn't the issue. Neither Feedburner nor Libsyn could identify an issue on their end, and they were responsive and as helpful as possible.
So, I then did some digging on Typepad troubleshooting site, and noticed that they recommended that the feed you give out to podcast listeners be the website/rss.xml instead of website/atom.xml. So I went into Feedburner and changed the URL, and things went back to they way you'd expect it. The RSS feed now had iTunes and podcast enclosure tags!
So the Jersey Boys Podcast is now completely back online ... but it was a complicated troubleshooting experience that required a high level of expertise and flexibility.