Several listeners of the www.chvrchespodcast.com have said they have audio playback issues with some of the podcasts. After several weeks of testing, I was able to get the weird sound issue to happen on my Apple iPod Touch.
So I created several example files to post to see if others can reproduce consistently. These are recorded originals from my Marantz (one in MP3 format and one in WAV):
- Download Marantz MP3 44.1 (Original).MP3 (235.9K) [Original]
- Download Marantz WAV PCM 44.1 (Original).WAV (2594.6K) [not expected to play on an iDevice because it is WAV format]
- Download Marantz WAV PCM 44.1 (Exported as WAV 16-bit PCM).wav (1243.4K) [not expected to play on an iDevice because it is WAV format]
The following were imported into Audacity 2.1.2 on Windows and exported out:
- Download Marantz WAV PCM 44.1 (Exported as MP2 160kbps then to MP3).mp3 (113.5K) [Export #1]
- Download Marantz WAV PCM 44.1 (Exported as WAV 16-bit PCM then to MP3).mp3 (113.9K) [Export #2]
- Download Marantz WAV PCM 44.1 (Exported MP3 Constant-128kbps-JointStereo).mp3 (113.9K) [Export #3]
If any of these MP3s don't sound right [Original or Export #1, #2, #3] on your computer or iDevice, then can you please let me know at: [email protected]. Thanks!
Update #1 (9/30/2016 11:15 AM PT) - My friend Victor was not able to find any sound quality playback issues on his iPhone 7 or iPad Pro. Neither could play the WAV file but that is expected. The WAV file sounded fine on his Mac.
Update #2 (9/30/2016 11:15 AM PT) - These MP3s all sound AOK to me on my iPad Air 2 in the Chrome browser.
Update #3 (10/2/2016 1:45 PM PT) - The first original MP3 and Export #2 and Export #3 make no sound on my iPod Touch running iOS 10 using Safari browser. Export #1 sounds like high-pitched clicks and beeps.
Update #4 (10/14/2016 - 9:11 AM PT) - These seem to play find on multiple Android devices, Windows PCs, Macs, Chromebooks, and Linux Desktop OS via multiple browsers. I verified the podcasts play via iTunes also on various platforms other than iPhone 6 devices.
Update #5 (10/14/2016 - 11:43 AM PT) - These are two new test files after swapping all the cables I am using in my recording study. RAW MP3 directory from Marantz and then an output of the Marantz MP3 from Audacity: